WHAT IS MICRONEEDLING?
Microneedling therapy, also called collagen induction therapy (CIT), is a minimally invasive skin-rejuvenation procedure that involves the use of a device that contains fine needles. The needles are used to puncture the skin to create a controlled injury underneath the skin’s surface. This induces the body to respond through the formation of new tissue layers, elastin and collagen fibres, as well as new capillaries for an improved blood supply in the treated area. The skin plumps and thickens in response to this stimulus, ultimately reducing the appearance of scars, and fine lines and other skin texture changes. In addition to collagen induction therapy, the channels made from the micro-needles allow topical gels and creams to be absorbed more effectively through the top layer of the skin.
By stimulating your skin's natural ability to heal itself this procedure is a highly effective treatment for:
- Skin rejuvenation
- Thickening the dermis and epidermis
- Scar reduction
- Acne scarring
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Pore size reduction
- Stretch marks
- Skin tightening
- Skin tone improvement.
* Results may vary
HOW MICRONEEDLING IS PERFORMED?
The skin is cleansed and numbed with Zensa numbing cream for 40 minutes prior to the treatment to make the procedure more comfortable. A thin layer of Hyaluronic Acid is applied to lubricate your skin and make the microneedling device glide more smoothly. A hand held microneedling device is used to penetrate the skin up to 2 mm deep producing thousands of tiny puncture marks or micro-medical needle-channels. More Hyaluronic Acid is massaged into the skin and followed by a cooling Mask. Microneedling therapy takes approximately 1.5 hours including the time for freezing.
MICRONEEDLING HAS A SHORT RECOVERY
Recovery from microneedling depends on the area and issues being treated. After microneedling, the skin will be pink or red in appearance for 24 to 48 hours and can last afew days. The skin is similar in appearance to having a sunburn, with minor bleeding and occasionally mild bruising. The skin may also feel warm, tight and itchy for a short while. Generally the inflammatory reaction of the skin is short and fades significantly after a couple days.
RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS OF MICRONEEDLING
Microneedling side effects and risks are minimal and typically include minor flaking or dryness of the skin, with some mild scab formation in rare circumstances. Infection is extremely rare. As this is a non-ablative treatment, hyper-pigmentation or darkening of the treated skin area is highly unlikely, but can occur in rare circumstances. This is usually temporary and subsides after the first couple of months. If you have a history of cold sores, then this could flare up after the microneedling treatment. Such patients should be on appropriate anti-viral medication prior to microneedling.
Before the treatment please avoid:
- any topical prescriptions or any products containing Retinol or Vitamin A for a full week;
- waxing, electrolysis, and laser hair removal in the treatment area for a full week;
- sun exposure (indoor & outdoor) for 2 weeks;
- botox or facial fillers for 2 weeks;
- any other skin treatments for a full week;
- all use of alpha hydroxy Acid (AHA), beta hydroxy acid (BHA) and benzoyl peroxide for 24 hours;
- exfoliating products that may be drying or irritating for 24 hours.
Post microneedling please avoid:
- picking, rubbing or scratching your skin;
- extensive exercise, swimming pools, hot water including saunas, Jacuzzis, hot tubs for 1 week;
- waxing or other hair removal in the treated area;
- make up for 48 hours;
- any sun exposure and sunscreen for the first 48 hours;
- any type of exfoliation for 1 week;
- using any medications or glycolic acid products for 1 week.
You will be provided with the after care kit that you will need to use for the first few days until you can resume to your regular skin care routine!
WHEN ARE MICRONEEDLING RESULTS NOTICEABLE?
It can take between 6-8 weeks before visible signs of skin regeneration are seen. This process will continue to evolve over the following months providing gradual improvement. Although a single microneedling treatment can provide a noticeable result, a series of 2 to 3 microneedling treatments that are spaced 6 to 8 weeks apart is recommended to achieve optimal results. For patients with deep wrinkles, advanced photo-aging, stretch marks or acne scars, it is recommended to receive 6-8 sessions at 6-8 week intervals.
WHAT DISTINGUISHES THIS FROM OTHER TREATMENTS SUCH AS LASER?
As a non ablative treatment, Microneedling does not remove the top layer of the skin. Certain lasers used repeatedly over time can damage fibroblast cells and lead to a thinner epidermis. Collagen Induction Therapy may help to increase the thickness of the skin and repair this damage. There is little to no downtime with microneedling. The recovery is usually quick, it can be performed year round, and its primary mechanism is the body’s natural healing process.
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- History of Keloids or Hypertrophic scarring
- Diabetic (require doctor's clearance)
- Chemotherapy (consult your doctor)
- Viral infections and/or diseases
- Psoriasis or eczema in the treatment area
- Taking blood thinners
- Tinea versicolor
- Bleeding disorders
- Recent chemical peels
- Sever Telangiectasia or erythema
- Skin cancer
- Tattoo in the treatment area
- Inflamed acne lesions
- Open cuts or scratches in the treatment area
- Active cold sores on lips or face (if prone to cold sores, please take medication 3 days in advance and 3 days after the treatment)
- Any facial surgery within 3 months
- Low immunity due to cold, flu, etc.
- Botox in the past 2 weeks
- Accutane in the past 6 months
- Active rosacea
- Sunburn or deep tan.
Please note that only lighter skin color (1-4 from Fitzpatrick scale) can be treated!
Microneedling treatment with Hyaluronic Acid. After care kit (50$ value) included!
- Full face 270$
- Full face & neck 370$
- Decollete 230$
- Microneedling of a scar or other smaller area 120$
For a treatment cost of other areas of the body please send a detailed email.
Package of 2 sessions 10% off!
Package of 3 sessions 15% off!
(must be purchased at first appointment)